Beautiful hand-made c Read more [...]
Place Category: Places to Visit
This stone hut stands 250m above sea level, close to a triangulation pillar and on the edge of the Blackdown Hills between Culmstock and Culm Davy. It partially enclosed a pole-beacon which was a communications signal ready for use when the Spanish Armada was sighted in the English Channel in 1588. Fires on the coast would be lit and then one by one a network of fire beacons set ablaze. This was the signal for all able bodied men to assemble at their local church, await instructions and arm themselves. This is possibly the only beacon hut in the country to survive in its original form. It linked with others at Holcombe Rogus, Upottery and Blackborough. This slit window allowed observers to watch for a light at Upottery beacon. Looking west-north-west.
Nowadays, fires are lit in the Hut in celebration, such as the ending of the War and the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977. About 50 acres of land on Culmstock Beacon have been given to the people of Culmstock, in perpetuity, for their enjoyment and recreation. Lying in an area designated as one of outstanding natural beauty, there is an abundance of flora to enjoy – the Beacon clad in bell-heather and ling is a sight to remember! Signs of flint stone quarrying can still be seen.
Address: Unnamed Road