Join the BHBA
Benefits of membership
Businesses join the BHBA for many reasons. Many comment on the fact that they save their subscription (£50 per year) soon after joining, by taking advantage of the opportunities being offered, which can result in new business, discounts on advertising and training/advice (often free) or networking opportunities.
Please find below a few examples of the membership benefits being offered by the BHBA:
1. Promotion of local businesses at shows such as the Blackdown Hills marquee at the Honiton Show which takes place on first Thursday of August. In 2012, we received over 6,000 visitors through our marquee! We are now taking bookings for our 150ft marquee at the Honiton Show on Thursday, 1st August 2013. Pitches start from £75, click here for the booking form.
Dulford Nurseries take a 6 metre pitch every year - a spectacular display ...
2. Discounted Blackdown Hills Directory listing for all members. In 2013, 25,000 copies will be distributed by Royal Mail to 10 postcodes in the area. Members pay £45 for a listing (this includes a £20 member discount). The directory is is also available on-line.
3. The BHBA website is updated weekly and as well as providing business news and details on a full range of organisations providing business information and advice for your business, the website includes a members' list with links to your website and a photo to help increase the visibility of your business. All we need from you when you join is 25 words describing your business services and then we can start advertising your business for you on both the members' list and online in the Blackdown Hills Directory.
4. We regularly hear about free or discounted workshops or advice sessions through our partners e.g, Cosmic, the Business Information Point and Making it Local. Members regularly feedback on the quality and how valuable the workshops and advice sessions have been. Don't forget to let us know if you have any business query, we can usually identify a business or organisation that can help you.
5. The BHBA holds regular meetings and socials, usually at member establishments, to enable you to network with your fellow businesses, so that you can do business, learn from each other, share and identify mutual support projects. We are always delighted to find new high quality venues on our doorstep! Tourism businesses regularly meet in low season. See the 'Events' pages for details of the next event.
In February 2013, we were served an excellent 3-course dinner by new BHBA members and new manager of the Yarcombe Inn, Danny Botterill. Each course was outstanding quality, we will definitely make a return visit... Many thanks Danny!
6. Member businesses receive regular enewsletters and tweets. This includes business news, opportunities and business profiles as well as forthcoming events news to help us all keep in touch with what is going on in the region. Every enewsletter is tweeted and we support our members when we can, by retweeting their news!
7. Taunton Markets (£50 per stall/Member rate) are run monthly in the town centre. See Honiton Show & Taunton Markets for more details.
Taunton market Christmas Festival...
8. BHBA members benefit from a 10% advertising discount in the View From the Blackdown Hills - circulation 8,000. To advertise in the View from The Blackdown Hills
✔ 8,000 copies distributed every month
9. The BHBA has close links with business groups in the region such as the Federation of Small Businesses, Chambers of Commerce in East Devon, Exeter and Somerset. We often hold joint events and reciprocal links with these groups.
10. We are represented on a number of area partnerships such as the Heart of Devon and forums (e.g. East Devon Business Forum and Mid Devon Business Forum). We also work closely with our associates in the Blackdown Hills AONB and local interest groups as well as associates in the East Devon AONB. We are also represented on the forum of the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership.
How to join us
So that we can spend more time organising events and finding out about opportunities to help your business and less time administering the BHBA, we prefer annual subscriptions (£50 per year, with a renewal date of 1st April) to be paid by BACs.
Here are our bank details:
Lloyds TSB Sort Code: 30-98-45
Account No: 01176937
If you arrange a bank transfer, please let us know, and we will send you a receipt if you request it.
However, if BACs is not easy for you, payments by cheque or PayPal are welcome too. You can subscribe to an annual payment of £50 which will be collected through PayPal which supports payment by debit or credit card and offers security to you. PayPal will charge the BHBA a commission on all transactions, so our preferred method of payment is directly through your bank. If you would like to discuss further, please contact Val at BHBA on 01823 681484 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
BHBA annual membership subscription fee is £50, to subscribe through PayPal, please click below.
Member of the BHBA Badge
As a member of the BHBA, you can display a Member of the BHBA badge on your website. If you would like one of these just contact Val Baker at the BHBA on T 01823 681484 or email email@example.com.
Helping businesses in the Blackdown Hills and in the rural parts East Devon
In 2012, the BHBA began to spread its wings and opening its doors to wider area in addition to the Blackdown Hills area to include businesses in the rural parts of East Devon (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty). The towns and districts in East Devon are well served by the chambers of commerce and business groups who are working hard to support businesses in their towns and districts and we will be working closely with these business groups to help to improve support and communicate opportunities to businesses in the area.
We believe that linking up with the rural parts of East Devon will help create new business opportunities for businesses in both areas. In addition, a larger geographical area will provide a larger market place for products and services in both areas.
Join the BHBA